OpenVPN uses client-server connection to provide secure communication between the client and the internet. The server side is directly connected to the internet and client connects with the server and ultimately connects with the internet indirectly. On the internet, the client is shown as the server itself and it uses the physical location and other attributes of server that means the identity of client is perfectly hidden.
OpenVPN uses OpenSSL for encryption and authentication process and it can use UDP as well as TCP for transmission. Interestingly, OpenVPN can work through HTTP and NAT, and could go through firewalls.
In Short, OpenVPN is popular because of numerous reasons, but mainly it : -
- hides your original IP address
- allows you to access websites blocked by your local Internet Service Provider and Hotspot providers
- allows you to watch a local TV program when you are in a foreign region
- can work over ports 80/443 which public websites normally listen on and which Hotspot Providers are not able to *block
* An extra premium is required with some hotel hotspot providers to make a L2TP/IPSEC connection to your corporate office/home, for example.
OpenVPN uses either pre-shared key, combination of user name and passwords or certificate to authenticate peers connected via OpenVPN and its major characteristics are its extensive support and strong features.
The EzHotspot Extender V4 has easy 3 methods to let you start enjoying a local TV streaming or private browsing on the internet, using the OpenVPN CLIENT.
- FREE VPN SERVERS - Click and select a region which you would like to join to and connect.
- VPN SERVER LIST - A popular list of public VPN providers are downloaded. Select your subscribed VPN service and a region which you you would like to join to, enter your subscribed username and password and Connect.
- UPLOAD A OVPN - If your subscribed VPN provider is not listed, you can still easily upload a ovpn profile, usually supplied by your VPN provider. In the case when the V4 is configured as a VPN SERVER, you can download this ezwifi.ovpn at the end of the configuration. This file will contain all the necessary configuration to join their service or the V4 as a VPN SERVER and may include CA certificate, Client Certificate, etc.
All you need now is a separate username and password, which is provided when you subscribe to their service. You can easily download a .ovpn file from the respective VPN provider's website.
In some cases, where the OpenVpn providers may provide you separately a CA certificate, a Client Certificate, Private Key or OpenVpn Static Key. These files are readable by text editors and you need to copy the complete contents of these files to the fields in the fields in the Ezsetup Menu of the OpenVpn configuration in the V4.
Note: It is important to copy the full contents of the CA certificate, Client Certificate, Private Key or OpenVpn Static Key; if they are not stored in the .ovpn file.